Monday, July 30, 2012

You Know You're In TN When...

This evening, I was enjoying a chat via text with a friend of mine when all of the sudden I saw something in my yard about twenty feet from my back deck. A possum, I thought. I hadn't seen one so close to the house before. It was rubbing it's face in the grass almost playfully for five minutes. It appeared as if it wasn't coming any closer, just working around the area it was. It went in circles almost playfully and looking as though it was eating the grass. At this point I felt it necessary to take a photo to send to my friend. I zoomed in and snapped a blurry shot. I decided to retake the photo. Just as I was doing so, it dawned on me, possums don't have fluffy tales!

I'm so smart sometimes it amazes me. <- insert sarcasm here.
I quickly realized it was a skunk not a possum and began to panic. I'm no expert in animals but my first thought as it came closer to the deck was to throw something to make it go away. It was also the point where I changed my conversation from text message to a phone call. I needed support.

As my friend was now laughing at my situation, we agreed that throwing things was a bad idea. I don't shoot animals so that was also out of the question. I asked for another suggestion and the response was to just leave it alone and hope it goes away. This was said to me as Pepe was staring at me and drawing even closer. I said out loud, "Go away!". My displeasure growing rapidly. Pepe continued in my direction. I repeated, "Go away!" this time convinced he would listen to me. In frustration I stomped my flip flop clad foot on the wood deck, a lemon in hand to throw just in case. Pepe stopped. I got his attention, my friend still giggling on the other end of the line. I stomped my foot a few more times and firmly demanded he go away. He promptly turned around and ran down the yard towards the barn! Mission accomplished.

Note to self,
Just because it's black and fuzzy with white around the eyes and nose, doesn't mean it's a possum.

No comments:

Post a Comment