Sunday, July 29, 2012

French Food At Home: Mussels in White Wine

I haven't been cooking at home. My house now echoes of a life once lived here. If you don't believe me you can google my real estate agent's website and see photos. My apartment has been delayed as it is new construction and has yet to be approved by the city for residency. So I sit in an empty house watching season after season of Mad Men on my iPad to pass the time.

I went grocery shopping and purchased cheese and baguette's as I clearly only want Parisian style meals since my trip to Paris. I have eased up on the wine, much to my dismay. I happened to come across frozen mussels at the store. Knowing what a pain it is to clean fresh mussels and remove the beards, I thought it best to try the frozen version. At $3.50 for a package of two, one pound bags, I couldn't go wrong. If they were terrible I would make a meal of the bread and cheese and have a glass of wine.

Much to my surprise, the instructions were to boil the mussels in the bag for six minutes or until heated thru. I just discovered the easiest thing ever. I chopped up part of an onion and sautéed it with a bit of butter and some fresh thyme and sage. I added a little garlic and anchovy paste before dumping in some wine and white mushrooms. I let it simmer as the mussels heated themselves in their plastic home.

I cut open the bag of now opened mussels and drained off some of the liquid. Topping them with the white wine concoction, the seemed as good as the fresh ones. Plump and tasting of sea water, I am impressed. A ten minute meal from start to finish and under five dollars. I think I will make this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment