Thursday, July 19, 2012

The Exotica is Not So Exotica

My big plan for dinner was thwarted by disappointment that the Exotica Libonaise restaurant was more like a quick service deli. Maybe tomorrow's lunch will be quick and exotic. Tonight is Sushi Tokyo!

Located in the 15th, the moderately priced restaurant is quite lovely once you go inside. The street view doesn't show it's charm. I only went in when I realized there were Asians eating and working there.

Strangely the menu does not have sake but they do offer Japonais beer. I opted for Sancerre. Shocking, I know. They were out of the half bottle of blanc so I was offered the rosé. A little pinkness never hurt me.

My meal started with the Japonais version of baguette on the table, puffy rice crackers. They are like pork rinds but have nothing to do with animal skin. Crunchy white moon shaped deep fried discs! Win!

From there we move on to soup and salad. The soup is a light miso broth with a brown seaweed, and a couple of sliced mushrooms. Unlike American miso, the seaweed is not green and familiar. It had a wonderful texture and it pleases me. Seaweed is full of protein. The salad is a delightful version of cole slaw. In fact, I'd prefer it to any cole slaw I have had in recent years. Put this Japonais version on a steamed pork bun and you're going to make a fortune!

My ever present edamame comes next. It was unsalted. Not my favorite, but as it cools it tastes better sans sel.

I ordered the M3. I kind of just pointed and was curious how it would come out. A roll of tuna and avocado wrapped in nori is surrounded by rice and wasabi tamago. The salmon is prepared the same way but with orange tamago. Simple. Good rice. Pretty plate.

It was too much food for me. Tasty? Yes! Not bad for a Parisian Sushi experience. Still the best I've had is in LA and NYC, but again, everything in Paris is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment