Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Hemingway & Woody

Stephane mentioned to me before I met up with him, that it was starting to feel like a Woody Allen movie here in Paris. I couldn't agree more. Thankfully I'm a fan. I really do think it feels I'm living in a film. The oddest things keep happening in my life and I'm quite amused.

The characters in Paris are fantastic! The people watching is endless entertainment. Walking the city again today was a great plan. I pointed myself in the direction I wanted to go and off I went. Again, I have no map, just a good sense of direction and a photographic memory to get by on.

I set afoot to walk in Hemingway's shoes for today. My feet hurt now. I came across the Armory and it's gardens. I am quite familiar with it as my father and I stayed not too far from it on our last trip to Paris. It's just past the Champ de Mars...which is a park area that extends from the Eiffel Tower in all it's glory.

The gardens are impeccably groomed. I hope to one day have a garden as expansive.

From there I walked, and walked, and walked. I made a few turns, staying in the general direction I wanted to go. I once again took the scenic route. I did however stop at one street and turned left. It was incredibly strange. Everything went from weird to Cartier and Armani. I found the oasis known as Saint Germain des Prés!

I walked right in to Les Deux Magots for lunch. As one of Hemingway's haunts, I decided to lunch there. By that time the restaurant was buzzing with waiters and an older crowd. It reminded me a bit of dining at Tavern On The Green, in Central Park. (RIP TOTG:()

I had a Salade de Haricots Verts and a wonderful Gazpacho with a Basil Sorbet. A fulfilling vegetarian lunch!

I continued my walk and ended up at the Notre Dame. It was next to my purpose for this day and I stopped by the area but it's overwhelming crowded by tourism during the Summer.

I went back across the street to Shakespeare and Company. I sat outside for a while and watched the people. When I ventured inside, I was transported to a wonderland of books and history.

The store is two floors of bookworm heaven. The upstairs is a writers lounge area. There is a piano and chess set in the fiction reading room. With a decent amount of history in the shoppe, it would be easy to spend a good long time there.

Next, I walked along the Seine. It was cool down by the water. I saw boats and few people. It was peaceful though you must watch where you walk on the cobblestones. There are several "floating restaurants" that boast signs for dinner and a cruise for 49€. It didn't entice me at all.

Insert two identical gypsy situations->
Woman reaches down and comes up looking surprised that, OMG, she has found something! What is it?! A ring! Made of pure gypsy gold as she can't even believe it just happened...she engages you in conversation and says she doesn't wear jewelry. But LOOK its gold! It's stamped 18k so it must be real....too large for her finger she try's to sell it to you for 45€. If you're not careful she will try to slip it onto your finger. Oh look it fits your thumb! You must have it! Imagine the luck!!!
Insert Mandy here -> That ring is made of fine Gypsy Gold! The finest! It matches your teeth!
Gypsy #1 = not so amused.
Mandy = very amused!
Notes to distinguishing Gypsy Gold from real gold:
1) If it wasn't on the ground when your over observant self was walking by, it didn't exist.
2) Men's rings are usually 10k gold. I knew from the get go what the chicks bag was so I humored her and myself.
3) Gold is worth a lot of money. No idiot would find something and sell it for 45€. Ever!
4) Don't worry, if you missed your first chance at striking it rich, just walk about 20m and another gypsy will find the same ring!!!!

I followed that up with a rest on the green belt next to the Seine and then a glass of Rosé and a Metro ride back to my hood in the 15th. My whole body was spent after walking 12+ hours in two days in Toms on cobblestone and pebbles.

No comments:

Post a Comment