Sunday, July 22, 2012

Paris at Night

Stephane came back from Normandy. He agreed to meet me at my hotel for a drink. How often is it that both of us are in Paris? This is a rare treat! After circling the block for quite some time to find parking, we ventured out to get a bite to eat. We went back to a favorite place of mine in the neighborhood, Le Relais Charbon.

Knowing that he is a man of good taste, I allowed him to order. I was a bit indecisive as it was. We ended up with a fantastic red wine and Tartare Boeuf. Neither of us get to enjoy delicacies like this very often back home. Served with a side of frittes and a salad, it was one of the better Steak Tartare's I've had in my life. The wine complimented it beautifully.

We then enjoyed another glass of wine, or two and a gorgeous cheese plate. I promise I don't eat like this at home, but on holiday for nine days, I can indulge. When the food is simply beautiful, it is impossible to not savor the moment and each bite. Being in great company also makes for a wonderful experience.

The view over Stephane's shoulder was distracting. I love motorcycles. It is a recent interest of mine but I have always found something so exciting about them. I'm fairly certain it stems from the first time I saw Top Gun.

We then had a café and creme brûlée. This was actually the first dessert I have had on this trip. It was good, however, sitting with a chef who taught me to make it, I must say his version is much better.

After dinner we walked the city for a while. We ended up at the Eiffel Tower with hoards of tourists and men selling cheap champagne for lots of money. The Eiffel Tower is magical. I never get sick of gazing at it. On the hour, every evening, the lights begin to sparkle. The crowd was awed. I have seen it many times but it is just so beautiful, it's hard not to be impressed. It is the biggest reminder of where you are at the moment. Paris in the Summer! This is a wish turned into reality!

We continued walking. We headed underneath the tower toward the Seine, and walked along the water. The boats along the river are often restaurants. The Paris Yacht Club was packed with patrons. It is quite a sight. Everything about this city is so full of beauty and romance.

Stephane said we would walk so I could see the Statue of Liberty. Yes, lady Liberty has a mini version in Paris! He educated me on the history of the statue and the grand gift version that sits in New York. Though I lived in New York for some time, I never actually visited the Statue of Liberty. I would often see it, but never had a purpose to take the ferry over. I should probably be a better tourist when I live in great places with landmarks. I will add that to my to-do list!

We walked some more and then later ended up going for a drive. Paris by car can be quite fun at 3am! It's such a different city at night. I had no idea the characters and nightlife existed in such a wild manor. We toured the restaurants where he came up as a young chef, saw the major monuments and buildings, and where he used to live. The red light district was definitely more interesting at night! I would probably never venture in that area after dark without Stephane, but it was great to see!

We concluded the tour of Paris after dark with some late night chef's grub. If you know anything about chef's, you'll know that after working long hours, they always have a cool place to hang out and relax with some probably not-so-healthy yet oh-so-delicious food. Insert random crepe stand/Halal/Greek food. Oui, Oui! At almost 4am, it's packed. The lines are long but move quickly. We had intended on crepe's but by the time we were able to order, it turned into an indulgent middle of the night meal. So bad, but so good. We did walk a lot, not that I ever will justify what we ate.

It was another good day and night in Paris. These unexpected adventures are evidence that the most fun happens without a plan, expectations, or a map! This is the difference between being a traveler and a tourist. FTW!!

No comments:

Post a Comment