Thursday, July 26, 2012

Meet Bubba The Great

He almost needs a cape! I was leaving my house and as I was driving I saw something that looked like a stone in the road. Quickly I realized it was a turtle so I pulled over to avoid hitting him. I snapped a photo and realized he was going to get hit if I didn't move him, so I moved him into my car :-)

I had every intention of taking him to Uncle Bob's and letting him go there. All along I was hoping he wasn't a snapping turtle. As a child I found a pet turtle on a golf course in North Carolina. I named him Joey. Joey was adorable. I was asked to show him to some family friends after dinner and Joey must have been hungry. He clamped down so hard on the fleshy part between my left thumb and forefinger. Nothing to that point in my life had hurt more. My grandfather had to hit him on the back of his shell to make him let go after he dangled there for what seemed like forever. I learned my lesson, and threw him in the lake and watched as he swam away. I haven't had a turtle since.

As it turns out, Bubba is an Eastern Box Turtle. Not dangerous like my almost pet snake Boots.

Bubba was colorful and seemed friendlier. We ran some errands and then ended up at Uncle Bob's. I decided to take him for a bike ride. He seemed to enjoy it and then got wild and attempted to jump from the basket. He jumped off my back deck also. I think he's just spirited and adventurous.

We then came home and since it's very hot out, I thought he might enjoy the Slip-N-Slide. I was correct! He ran down the length of the slide and splashed in the water.

Next we went for a walk in the yard and admired my now overgrown garden. We came inside for a snack of some grapes. I then decided Bubba should live free. I placed him at the bottom of the deck stairs to live the rest of his life as he chooses. He hasn't moved since then. I am sure he will remember what a fun day we had together! I know I will!

No comments:

Post a Comment