Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Pleasant Surprises

The little things that happen to me have such a huge impact on how I get thru and am able to enjoy my days. In never ceases to amaze me how surprises keep happening. Previously I was so excited when a bunch of tulips came up in my front yard.

While I was in Paris I visited the infinitely famous Shakespeare and Co. bookshop. They have an area upstairs for writers. It's a really cool area of the shop. You can feel the history as notes from visitors around the world adorn the bulletin board. There is a little nook that houses a manual typewriter. Inside the enclosed desk area where it sits, there are notes pinned to the walls and Christmas style lights hanging. It's a great little place to escape.

The typewriter was so neat. I took several photos and thought how great it would be to write a story on it. I was inspired by so many things on that trip but that typewriter stood out to me for some reason. When I returned home, I was told that an area of boxes remained untouched by the Estate Sales people. They assumed it was personal because there were slide carousel boxes in the area. I had placed those boxes there at least ten months ago and hadn't really gone thru them.

I pulled the boxes out as I'm getting organized for my move. Inside there was a black case which I had assumed was the slide projector. Uncle Bob figured out how to open the case. He was as surprised as me when he removed the lid. Inside sat a Royal Manual Typewriter. Pristine in its condition and a beautiful blue color. I have never seen it previously. I have no idea what it's history might be. The color is what baffles me most. I am hoping my Aunt Toots will know something about it.

Regardless, I am so excited about it. The strange series of events that led to finding it and the fact that it's discovery happened after the sale is just truly a blessing. Had it been discovered prior, I don't know that I would have appreciated it or have been around to decide wether to keep it.

I'm so inspired by it, and can't wait to use it to write stories and letters. Such a special surprise for a writer. I'm so lucky!

No comments:

Post a Comment