Friday, August 31, 2012

Mason Jars

Mason Jars, Ball Jars, Glass Jars, Canning Jars, whatever you call them, I LOVE them. My hatred of plastic bags and bottles started in my youth. It hasn't gotten any better over time. The sound of someone crunching up an empty plastic water bottle is enough to make my skin crawl. I have used reusable bags at the grocery store for years, only because in my many years of apartment living, the elevator seems to always be out of service when I go grocery shopping and making more than one trip up the stairs carrying bags flat out sucks. The reusable bags are bigger and stronger.

While I can appreciate the convenience of a zip lock bag, I hate they way they make my pantry look. Working in restaurants for so long has made me obsessive about being able to find things quickly and easily. Knowing exactly how many chocolate chips are left in the crinkled up bag in a bag is impossible and I inevitably start baking when there are not enough for my recipes.

Organizing my pantry using mason jars to store just about everything I can has made me a happy cooker. I can see what I need, how much is left and things stay fresh. It's nice to look at and the jars are less expensive over time than the zip lock bags that I hardly reuse.

Mason jars also make for a great cocktail glass, they are dishwasher safe and they are charming, for what it's worth. I have never had a drink from a mason jar without a smile on my face.

Consider replacing your plastic bags with mason jars. I guarantee you will smile when you open your pantry.

No comments:

Post a Comment