Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Sloco Lunch

I'm obsessed. I haven't had a good sandwich outside of my kitchen in the longest time. Living in the sticks for a year can do that to you. Yesterday Mandi and I noticed a sandwich shop next door to Las Paletas Popsicles. Today I decided to try it.

The gentleman behind the counter noticed that I was a little lost looking at the menu and he suggested the Vegan Special. As a former vegan and vegetarian I still love vegan food. It's not conducive to my profession to maintain the lifestyle but I do appreciate it. I also really appreciate a great sandwich. He sold me on it and a can of Unsweetened Lemon Tea. The shop prides itself on using organic and local ingredients. They also compost all the waste and recycle the cans. While not just a vegan place, the shop has a cause and a sandwich for everyone.

The vegan option had grilled eggplant and squash with a creamy jalapeƱo garlic vinaigrette, tofu, and black eyed peas and greens.

The sandwich was phenomenal and had so much flavor. The vinaigrette was spicy and the tofu surprisingly lovely. The size was manageable and not overwhelming. That was important because next door, Popsicle Heaven awaited me!

I went to Las Paletas again and today I tried the Rice Flavor. I was torn between that and Avocado and got to chatting with the girl there. She said each of the creamy bars are about 120 calories and the Avocado is great dipped in chocolate. That will be tomorrows frozen treat! The Rice Paleta was like Horchata on a stick. So light and refreshing on another hot day in Nashville. I can't wait to do it all again tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment