Friday, September 23, 2011

You Know You're In East Tennessee When..






I was at good ole' Wal-Mart today and was reprimanded by the gentleman at the check stand for lifting the case of water I had just purchased back into the cart. I advised him that I am more than capable of lifting it and thanked him for his concern. He went on about how I shouldn't have to do that. I wanted to respond with, "Are you coming home with me? Otherwise, I better not buy anything that I can't lift because it won't make it into my house." Instead I came to the realization that I have never once had an experience like that in California.

On the radio there are snippets they play between songs that make me laugh. My favorite is, "You know you're in East Tennessee when you get bit by ten mosquitos, just walking to the mailbox." It got me thinking about the other weird things I see here.
Hardee's is the California equivalent of Carl's Jr. The sign currently says, "BACK AGAIN, FRIED BOLOGNA". (Really?)
The restaurant called Harrison's across the street says, "HOMEMADE STRAWBERRY CAKE". (Enough to make me want to stop.)
The auto body/car sales lot next to Wallgreens sign says, "YOUR CAR KEYS ARE HERE". (Oh good, I was looking for them as I was DRIVING by.)
My all time favorite sign at Salem Baptist Church, "WALMART IS NOT THE ONLY SAVING PLACE", which ironically, a photo was posted on Facebook by a friend in Illinois at Baptist church by her home. Good find, Bea! It cracks me up. You can tell the difference between churches with money by the ones who actually have digital signs flashing their messages. I seem to pay more attention to the old fashion letters on the board. A church with bright red letters flashing at me is kind of scary.

I finally remember why as a child in Atlanta we would cross our fingers together, our wrists touching, pointers up and sides of our thumbs together saying, "Here's the church, here's the steeple, open the doors, and see all the people." Every other building and sometimes two in a row with another across the street, is a church. The Bible belt description is quite obvious. There are NO bars in this town.

The large sign on the side of the highway as you approach exit 122, yes they are numbered not named here, advertises the big draw that I pass by often and have yet to visit. Museum of the Appalachias: Museum of the Appalachias Website Click Here. They are currently advertising the Fall Homecoming event for Oct 7-9th and I think I might go then. The place actually looks like something I might enjoy.

I never thought I would be yelling at my dog to leave Bambi alone as she runs down the yard to chase the deer. I also never thought I would consider keeping seeds from the vegetables from my garden to plant again next year. I have watched more football in the past few weeks than my entire time in college. You can bet that everyone here owns at least three orange tee shirts. Not a single house around me has a paved driveway. Best of all, you know when you're in East Tennessee when the road sign showing curves ahead has bullet holes through it.

2 comments: