Monday, September 19, 2011

Fried Chicken


There are a few things that are very southern. Fried Chicken is an art form. I make it a couple of different ways but the outcome is the same every time. Crispy exterior, perfectly spiced, piping hot cooked through the middle and the chicken is still moist. I will admit that my fried chicken is better than my mother's.

Yesterday we went to the movie theatre in Oak Ridge which is about a 40 minute drive. In my spare time here, I have been catching up on a lot of reading. I get buried in a book and can lose myself for days. The Help is a book my mother gave me back in January. It sat in my back seat for months until I got to Tennessee and decided to bring it with me. I refused to see the movie before I finished the book. Once I started it, I read it cover to cover. It's that good. The characters in the novel are much more developed than they are in the movie. The movie was great. I kind of wish the made it into a mini-series though since there was some of the storyline that was neglected.

There is a scene where the character Celia Foote, is learning to make fried chicken. I knew that once we left the theatre, my father would want me to make my fried chicken. In the movie they fry it in Crisco. In Mandyland, I use vegetable oil. I have used light and dark meat, skin on and bone in, and the boneless skinless variety. You can use any of them. Currently I prefer the boneless skinless thighs and breasts. Follow my recipe and years of experience and you will have the perfect fried chicken. I make it many ways but yesterday it was as good as ever.



Miss Mandy's Fried Chicken

Boneless skinless chicken breasts and thighs
Buttermilk
Hot sauce
Flour
Salt
Pepper
Onion powder
Garlic powder
Oregano
Thyme
Paprika
Cayenne
Vegetable oil


Rinse the chicken in cold water, pat dry. In a bowl, mix together the buttermilk and hot sauce. Use as much as you feel like. My blend is a nice pink color. In another bowl, mix together the flour and spices. Dip the chicken in the spiced buttermilk and then put it into the flour mixture. Cover completely and then put the chicken on a parchment lined sheet pan. Allow it to rest for 20-30 minutes. This ensures the coating will stick to the chicken when you fry it. Heat the oil in a heavy bottom pan to 375 degrees. The oil temperature will drop when you put the chicken in. In small batches, fry the chicken for 12-18 minutes, until golden brown and cooked through. Allow to drain on a paper bag. You can reheat it in a 350 degree oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment