Tuesday, September 27, 2011

My Beloved Sadie


My dog, like me, is special. Sadie is a Weimaraner. She turned 8 in June and has not grown up at all. She was trained as a hunting dog, though I do not hunt. She is Elmer Fudd in dog form. Not the brightest, but really nice. She spends all day hunting Wabbits.


She doesn't know how to pose for pictures. She looks like she just smoked a joint when you do get a photograph of her actually looking towards a camera lens. She won't fetch. She thinks she is still a lap dog. She has a mind of her own but knows how to mind. She responds to hand signals from the enormous amount of time I spent with her as a puppy. She is up at 6 am every day ready to eat. This is always long before I have any desire to move from my king size bed and 1000 thread count sheets. Then she goes right back to sleep. This is getting tiresome. She's worse than having a child to look after.

Of all of my favorite things about her, even her annoying habits make me laugh. She is nuts. She chewed through the kitchen wall as a puppy. She used to steal my shoes and bury them under her bed. She carries around a blanket like it's her puppy. She has no interest in water, getting her paws wet, or going out in the rain. I'm not sure why my dog is so odd.


I was sitting on the steps outside and she decided to come and sit on my lap and see what I was looking at while I read the news on my iPad. I took a couple of pictures. She is every bit the character. As soon as she realized I was trying to take a picture she lost interest and was off to play in the Hundred Acre Wood.

My dog is hilarious and a huge part of my daily life in Tennessee. I think the best part of the land here is that she can run. There are no fences and she always comes back. I can't imagine having a pet locked up in an apartment all day while the owner is away at work. Big dogs need to run and play. Mine especially considering she hasn't calmed down at all since I got her at 8 weeks old.

No comments:

Post a Comment