Monday, September 19, 2011

Fall Favorites: French Onion Soup



I love Paris! My first visit to the beautiful city was in the Fall when I was 17 years old. I had the best French Onion Soup of my life. I was lucky enough to go back and visit one Christmas. It confirmed my undying love for Paris, all this Parisian, and amazing French food. I am obsessed with macarons and am so excited that Ladurée has opened a store in NYC! They fly in everything from Paris and I can't wait to visit the store. A taste of Paris is a bit closer now.

French Onion Soup is a satisfying soup and is surprisingly simple to make. If you can get through the tears and take the time to properly caramelize the onions, you will have a taste of Paris in your own home!

French Onion Soup

4 large onions, sliced thin
3 T butter
1 T flour
1 bay leaf
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp fresh thyme
Salt & Pepper TT
4 cups beef stock
Sliced French Bread
Cheese

Cook the onions over a medium low heat in the butter until caramelized, stirring occasionally about 30-40 minutes. Slow and low the natural sugars in the onions will make them brown and soft and sweet. Add the flour and cook for 2 minutes, then add all the herbs and spices. Stir in the beef stock and simmer on low for 20-30 minutes. Remove bay leaf. Portion soup into oven safe bowls and top with sliced French bread and cheese. Broil in the oven until bread is crisp and cheese is melted, about a minute. Serve hot!

2 comments: