Friday, September 2, 2011

Cornbread Cupcakes







My friends read my blog. Sherriepie is a dear friend who has been in my life for a long time and a lot of cake. If you view my other blog MandyTheCupcake.blogspot.com you will find endless photos of her and her family enjoying cakes and cupcakes I have made. Sherriepie got caught up on her reading and asked what's next for my blog. I asked her for a suggestion and she said cornbread or apple pie. So, in honor of Sherriepie I made some cornbread.

Everything is cuter in cupcake form. It is evident to me as a one time competitor on Food Network's Cupcake Wars, that I can make a cupcake. I prefer savory food though so most likely if I'm making something for myself, it's not going to be dessert. I made chili not too long ago and decided to make a half recipe again and some Cornbread Cupcakes to go along with it. The recipe can be made in a seasoned iron skillet also. Easily doubled and manipulated by adding cheese, jalapenos, corn kernels, or anything else you want.

Cornbread Cupcakes

1 1/4 cups corn meal (I use white)
1/2 cup AP flour
3/4 tsp good salt
3/4 or 1 tsp baking powder (I prefer a reduced amount)
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup milk
1 egg
2-3 Tablespoons of honey
1 1/2 Tablespoons of melted butter

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a cupcake tin with paper liners. Mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl. Whisk the buttermilk, milk, egg, and honey and fold into the dry mixture. Fold in the melted butter. Spoon into the prepared cupcake pan and bake for about 20 minutes. Remove from pan and allow to cool. Enjoy with chili, or butter and more honey. Recipe yields 10-12 savory cupcakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment