Monday, September 19, 2011

Fall Favorites: Stuffed Acorn Squash


The air turned cold here and I love Fall. It makes me think of soups, wild rice, and foods my mom made for me growing up. I have decided to post some of my favorite Fall recipes. First up is Acorn Squash Stuffed with Wild Rice and homemade Chicken Sausage.

It's no secret that I have a fear of mystery meats, but when I make my own food, I know what goes into it and I have learned that it always tastes better. A few extra steps and you will have a meal fit for a family of any tastes.

Acorn Squash is named for its shape. When cooked properly it is amazing and if you stuff it with a few ingredients you have a hearty filling meal that is not high in calories.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Wash the exterior of the squash and cut them in half. Rub the flesh with a little bit of oil. Place on a baking sheet cut side up and roast for about an hour or until the flesh is fork tender.

Homemade Chicken Sausage
2 boneless skinless chicken thighs
1 T Paprika
3 T Maple Syrup
Pinch Cayenne
1/2 Onion, chopped
Salt & Pepper TT
Pinch Caraway seeds

Pulse all ingredients in a food processor until chicken is well chopped. Cook in a pan with a bit of oil and the other half of the chopped onion.
Prepare 1 cup of wild rice per the directions on the package using stock instead of water for more flavor. Allow to cool a bit then mix the rice with the cooked chicken sausage. Fill the acorn squash with the wild rice mixture and return to the oven for 15-20 minutes. Allow to sit for a few minutes before serving. Top with grated cheese if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment