Wednesday, September 21, 2011

When I Grow Up

Truth be told, I don’t think I will ever grow up. I have managed to not do so thus far, and have quite enjoyed it. I do imagine what it would be like to be stuck in a job I hate. I have actually always enjoyed my work even when it was just staring out a window onto a golf course for eight plus hours a day. I have been extremely lucky. At this point I won’t be retuning to my last job. It’s a strange feeling, the unknown. I quite liked it there but I am in East Tennessee and the closest outpost of the company is across the state or in another.

I have long dreamed of sitting out by the pool of my mid-century modern home, sipping a bourbon on the rocks with my standard poodle FiFi guarding me from the pool boys. I am quite excited to live this life, problem being that I am as far from that dream as I am a natural blonde. It will happen though. Mark my words. I’ll say it again, I think I was born in the wrong era.

Monique sent me a link to this photo and I about died. Someone was able to capture me in the future! I have no idea who deserves the photo credit (sorry). It makes me happy to know I have so much to look forward to in my life. I am in search of so many things but I know that my eternal goal of utter happiness is achievable because there is nothing about whoever this woman is that I don’t want to be. She is fantastic! From the drink to the dress, to the pedicure on her toes, and jewelry, OMG! She rules! Let us not forget the dog. She, like me, is able to keep a potted plant alive. I am well on my way.














While I love children, Myles especially, I don’t feel a need to make that commitment just yet. I look forward to giving up my freedom and sanity at some point but today is not that day. I want a loving environment to bring them into and ability for them to have at least what I had growing up. I am not in the position to say no to a plane flight for a last minute trip to see a friend or meet them in a random city for an epic meal at a cool restaurant. I admire my friends for being loving parents but I admire myself for knowing that there are still adventures in life for me before parenting. Why would I need my own if I can just borrow this adorable one whenever I want? Myles turned three last week and I missed his birthday but I know the next time he sees me it will be the same thing, “Oh hello Mandy, you got cupcakes?” and I will. They will be Uncle Tony's favorite white on white with sprinkles that bleed through the batter, a homemade version of Funfetti. There will be smiles all around. I'm excited for that.

When making choices I always consult the future woman I want to be rather than the woman who is living in the present. Change is necessary for growth and difficult decisions have to be made. As long as you have your priorities straight, you will be guided down the path that is meant for you. I like to play hopscotch on my path. Being a bit unpredictable and never settling for less than my self determined worth has found me in a constantly happy state.

It’s possible that my path will lead me back but even I don’t know what’s in the plan for me now other than a photo of my future self exists and she looks divine!

No comments:

Post a Comment