Tuesday, September 20, 2011

A Glass Of Vogue


It's not very often that I slow down enough to reflect on what is going on around me. Today was another busy day filled with errands, wine making (we started an Amarone which has oak and grapes in it), cleaning, and cooking, along with appointment making.



While I was out, I stopped to pick up some wine for when my Aunt Toots comes to visit and bought the latest issue of Vogue. The October issue is so much more interesting than September was, though I only flipped through it in a waiting room. I have been taken back, almost transported to the time when I was a girl reading the fashion bible. For the first time in a long time I recognize the importance of a magazine. I spend a lot of time reading things on my iPad and often forget what it was like before things like iPads existed.

In a way I have slowed my life down dramatically but feel busier than ever. There is something so calming about the sound of the birds and insects here. They have become the soundtrack to peace. I don't often hear cars drive by, my cell phone can't ring here, and the only distraction is my dog running through the yard chasing off the wild turkeys. I have been communicating with my closest friends via email, skype, and phone calls daily, sharing articles I find online and catching up with what's going on in their lives so far away from me now.

In the Vogue interview with Michelle Williams, she speaks of how she is not lonely, but because of what is on her bedside table, not what is in her bed. That rang a bell so loud in my head. It was putting my mothers words into something I can finally identify with. The article was so eloquently written. It shows a woman of grace and strength and it's why magazine articles are something I so adore. I love window shopping the clothing and styles. I discovered my next nail polish which has magnets in it! Then I turned the page...

An article on El Bulli awaited me. It feels like heaven today, taking the time to slow down and enjoy all that surrounds me, especially my Vogue and a glass of wine while sitting on my deck in the fresh Tennessee air. It's really lovely here. The Dogwood trees are turning bright red. There are bright yellow flowers on plants that line the roads. Nature's art is so stunning. I hope my friends will take a short break for themselves today and enjoy whatever surrounds them.

3 comments:

  1. awww....
    I will try and stop and smell the French fries as I walk pass them and 1001 times tonight .
    Wishing I was there
    Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. LM(Blonde)AO! Oh Moe, how I wish you were here too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It makes me happy to read, and to hear the calmness in your words,and enjoying all the beauty that surrounds you!!! you have grown so much over the past year...missing you, and <3 you!!

    ReplyDelete