Monday, September 19, 2011

Things My Lawyer Says


I have awesome friends. My sweet Gracie is a lawyer, in fact she is my lawyer. Being best friends with a lawyer has its perks. Not only is she gorgeous, funny, and smart, she has passed the California Bar exam and been practicing for over five years. She rules! She is sarcastic, brutally honest, and pretty much always on my side. She has also become a blogger and her posts constantly have me in stitches laughing.

Anytime I have a question, I seem to ask Gracie. I think there are times where she should write an advice column. Today's question for Gracie was about blogs. I happened to come across an ex-boyfriend's blog. He has the ability/audacity to charge his readers. I about fell out of my chair. I never even considered charging for people to read my thoughts, recipes, and see photos. Basically he bit my idea and has also become a blogger. I explained the details and my question was "WTF?". Now I'm confused, I know he's slightly more well known than me but where does one come up with a price tag for seeing what they are up to? His price is $15. I have no doubt that he reads my blog for free.

Gracie's response was, "WTF? Sue him!". I almost died laughing. Solid advice from my lawyer. I agreed with her. Though she followed it up with, "I'd like to sue my ex for fraud and deceit" and this made me laugh more. I think my lawyer is going to draft some laws that allow us to sue ex boyfriends for whatever we deem emotional distress. I don't actually have any distress but I did enjoy the laughs from the conversation. At what point does one think it's okay to charge for something so selfish as a blog? I fully intend to write a book and some cookbooks which I will charge for. He is a musician, and is capable for charging for his music. But a blog? C'mon. If I was still dating him I wouldn't pay $15 for his thoughts and don't worry friends, I will not charge you for reading my blog. Especially when I'm posting silly rants like this. I would like to know who if anyone has actually paid for a membership to read his thoughts. I would have to pay my own mother to read this blog if she wasn't mentioned in almost every post!

I'm sure my mother will get a kick out of this. So for free and because I can, here is another picture of me and my super tired eyes. Now I feel the need to compete for readers and keep my blog FREE and without advertising which is how blogs make money, NOT by charging people to read it! HAHAHA! Game on!

3 comments: