Sunday, September 25, 2011

Italian Lemon Fried Chicken & Green Tomatoes With Crispy Herbs






Sometimes when you're looking to cook something different and aren't quite sure what you are in the mood for it's best to turn on a food show. A couple of days ago, just as I was being dragged out the door, I flipped to the cooking channel. It was Tyler's Ultimate-Fried Chicken show. I caught the last 6 minute segment and low and behold the head of the Italian program at my culinary school in New York was on it! I haven't met him but had enrolled in the program after graduating with honors from my pastry program. I didn't attend because of life happening to me in California. While I wish I went back then, I know it's never too late and I know my time in Italy will come again.

I have spent enough time in Italy and growing up with an Italian Grandmother that I know the food is very diverse. I was not aware that fried chicken and green tomatoes was an Italian dish. I was entranced at the process that the chefs used on the show. I have made fried chicken so many different ways, but was intrigued when they used a lemon marinated chicken and dipped it in flour, then egg and it went straight into the oil. They did they same thing with thinly sliced green tomatoes and then piled in a bunch of herbs. The thing about a successful cooking show is that it makes you desire what they are making, eating and describing. It makes you want to travel and cook more, eat more interesting food, even if it is simple food.

There is nothing more simple and wonderful than this recipe. I think it's my favorite of all the things I have been cooking since I started this blog. I changed up some minor directions from what I saw on TV but only because of my personal experience and the fact that my frying pot is not the size used in a commercial kitchen. I can't imagine using several gallons of cooking oil since I can't recycle it here. You'll need to plan ahead to marinate the chicken but the rest of the process is pretty quick.

Italian Lemon Fried Chicken & Green Tomatoes With Crispy Herbs

For the marinade:
Zest of 2 lemons
Juice of 4 lemons
2 T olive oil
Salt & Pepper TT
2-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts

Mix the ingredients in a glass dish or plastic bag and marinate boneless skinless chicken breasts in it in the fridge for four hours. No more, no less. Turn the chicken at least once so it is evenly marinated.


Additional Ingredients:
2 Green tomatoes
1 head of garlic
Bunch of each, fresh sage, rosemary and thyme
Vegetable oil
AP Flour
Salt
Pepper
Onion powder
Paprika
Garlic powder
4-6 eggs, beaten

Put the oil in a heavy bottom pot filling it about half way, heat over medium-high heat. Break up the garlic cloves leaving the paper on the outside of them. Place the garlic and fresh herbs into the cool oil. As it heats it will flavor the oil and they will become crispy. When the garlic and herbs have become dark golden in color, remove them from the oil to drain on a paper bag. At this point your oil will be hot enough for frying.
Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl and beat the eggs in another. Dip the chicken in the flour mixture and then into the eggs. Immediately place in the oil and fry for 12 ish minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Turn the chicken if necessary while frying. Remove and allow to drain on a paper bag.
Repeat the process with the green tomatoes, sliced thin, about 1/8 inch. The tomatoes will float in the oil, turn them over after about 2 minutes, and cook for another 1-2 minutes. Drain them on a paper bag and serve the chicken and tomatoes with the crispy herbs and sprinkle with a little bit of good salt. The garlic should be cool enough by now to remove the outer paper for serving.

If you think you have ever tasted the Best Fried Chicken, I challenge you to make this recipe and see how it compares. The bright lemon flavors echo through the crispy chicken and the tart green tomatoes. It's worthy of my Grandmother's salut before a meal, Bon Appétit!

No comments:

Post a Comment