Saturday, September 24, 2011

Boozy Cake







I was out running my daily errands and hit up the package store. There was a guy working who was clearly younger than me. He asked if I needed help with anything. He probably wasn't expecting my response, "Yes, actually I'm looking for a bottle of Chardonnay that doesn't cause me to send random Facebook messages to people I used to date." "Well," he said as he giggled "I'm not sure I can help you with that." I met my demise and have broken up with my beloved Chardonnay.

I left with a bottle of white Rioja. The Spanish would never put something in their bottles to cause such behaviors.



The sky was still blue, the chores still needed to be done, and I made up my mind to finally try that boozy from-a-box cake since it's football Saturday. I followed the instructions from the article in the paper and was pleasantly surprised by the outcome. Having spent a fortune on my Culinary Education, I don't find myself baking from a box. I understand the simplicity of it but honestly I can mise en place a cake faster than one can open the box and bag. That being said, I said I would try the Kahlua Cake recipe and it was interesting. I highly doubt you will see these ingredients in my house again.


This is a link to the post regarding the cake: Kahlua Cake


I mixed the ingredients and put most of the batter into a bundt pan, reserved some, and made a half dozen cupcakes. The cupcakes took 27 minutes to bake which is so much longer than any of my from scratch recipes. The texture looks funny to me because I am a perfectionist but all and all they are pretty tasty. The booze definitely comes through. Not being one to completely follow directions, I decided that a Kahlua Milk Chocolate Ganache was more interesting than the Kahlua and powdered sugar frosting from the recipe, and it's probably what made the cupcakes so good. I have to have some creative freedom to make sure I'm making something I would actually want to eat.

I think this recipe is worth you making. I normally wouldn't encourage behavior like baking from a box but I ate one of the cupcakes. It's possible it got me drunk ;)

Mrs. Dooley's Kahlua Cake

1 box of yellow cake mix (no pudding)
1 box of instant chocolate pudding mix 4 oz
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup of oil
4 eggs
1/8 cup of Kahlua
1/4 cup of Vodka
3/4 cup water

Mix all ingredients and pour into greased bundt pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes to one hour. Do not over bake.
For the frosting mix 1 cup of powdered sugar with 1/4 cup of Kahlua.

No comments:

Post a Comment