Sunday, September 11, 2011

Emerald Bat Cave









Of the many things I am not successful at, following directions is at the top of the list. I excel, actually. After the cave explorers came out we patiently awaited pictures from their adventure. My father mentioned that I write a blog and they were concerned that I had mentioned the cave. I don't plan on turning my back yard into a theme park and charging admission. I doubt any of my friends will actually come out here and visit. I can count how many visitors I had when I moved to Los Angeles just over an hour North of Orange County. I am the one who is good at visiting people.

That being said, the cave people are concerned that people will go in and destroy the area, get hurt or better yet, throw a party inside of it. Considering there is not a whole lot going on here, I can understand that high school age kids like finding caves and throwing parties in them. I was in high school for just over three years, I graduated early. In our glory days we would have parties in open fields where new home development was going in or at the soccer fields. We would go camping and we got away with a lot. I was friendly with older people generally and we always cleaned up after ourselves.

I can guarantee that if I saw some kids walking across my back yard with a keg, I would have something to say about it. The entrance to the cave is 25 feet straight down. There is no way they would get away with going in without me hearing something since it's quiet here when I'm not playing the banjo or riding around on the tractor.

From the email my father received, he was told that generally the person who finds the cave gets to name it. Instead they have all agreed to let my father be the one to name it. I asked him what his ideas were and he said, "Emerald Cave because of the pools of emerald colored water, or the Bat Cave." I thought he would have wanted to name it after me. I would name it after me if given the chance. Mandyland Cave sounds like a perfectly suitable name for such a glorious place. I don't know what he's thinking. They also mentioned that they explored 1525 feet of it and when they go back in they are bringing scuba gear.

Since I was told not to share the pictures, I thought I should post them anyway. It's too cool not to share. Maybe one of my friends will make it out here to help me start a theme park and cave tours.

*After reading my post, my mother sent me this link: The Lost Sea
Maybe I do have a future in business after all. She said she took me there on the same trip that the old time photo was taken. Another thing I don't recall from my childhood.

2 comments:

  1. I need to be re-certified for scuba diving but aside from that I'm game. I think that I will need some new climbing gear too.

    ReplyDelete