Monday, September 19, 2011

Keeping Busy, Making Wine


I have mentioned that my father is a hobbyist. He makes wines and doesn't drink. I don't exactly understand how it works but he loves to do it. He made a recent batch of peach wine that is ready to be bottled. I haven't been around to see the master vintner at work for the entire process, until now.


I got in on some of the wine making action myself. We started a Valpolicella red wine that comes from the Verona region. I am really excited to see how it turns out. The process is a lot of work and involves mostly making sure everything is properly sterilized. Then you mix some stuff with warm water, add in the grape juice, some more water, yeast, and then wait. and wait. and wait. and then you add in some other stuff and wait. I won't be enjoying the wine any time soon but I am enjoying the learning process and my father hasn't lost faith in my abilities yet so I'm off to a good start with a new fun hobby.

When I'm not blogging or making wine, I am bleaching my hair. It's finally a wonderful shade of platinum and thanks to my purple shampoo, I finally know what I will look like when I am an old blue haired lady. I need to play my banjo and get back in the groove of baking some fun stuff. I discovered Wal-Mart sells Wilton baking supplies and am excited to make something fun soon. I still need to make the from-a-box Kahlua Cake and have decided to turn it into cupcakes. I recently made hummus and figured out that Pita bread is not sold in Tennessee. My moms crazy suggestion was to make it myself. I found a couple of recipes and they are all almost the exact same thing so I think I have half a chance at success. I'm still confused how the pocket works but we'll see this week when I make an attempt.

My fried chicken was a success and it's been a while since I have made homemade biscuits. I think I will add that to my to-do list along with gravy. My friend Janelle used to make biscuits and gravy for me and her brother and it was awesome comfort food. The cool weather here has me dreaming of the smell of firewood burning and wonderful food. I am excited to see the leaves change. It's been quite a few years since I have even been in a place that has seasons.

Cheers to Fall and all it brings, changes good and bad, and to new experiences. Live, Love, Laugh!

No comments:

Post a Comment