Sunday, October 23, 2011

Mini Meat Balls

If you know anything about me, you know my fear of mystery meats. I have long steered clear of ground animal products and have probably missed out on some great meals because of this. With the invention of a food processor, and a few extra minutes of prep time, I finally am able to enjoy things I haven't had in years. The simplicity of pushing a button and knowing exactly what is in my meal give me peace of mind and satisfaction. If you make it yourself it is bound to taste better than the prepared products that you might purchase in a store.

I have some foodie friends whom made a feast while we were in San Francisco on a trip together. I watched as they made their own sausage and that evening I made ten individual chocolate soufflé's and a boozy Chantilly Cream to top them. It was wonderful. Cooking is such a wonderful way to bring people together. You should never share a meal with someone you don't like.

That being said, I purchased some beef chuck. My father has wanted a burger for a while and I decided that the only way I will make it is if I know what is in it.

I rough chopped the beef and put it in the food processor. Then I pulsed it. I realized how much ground meat I had and decided to portion out the part for the burgers and make the rest into mini meat balls!

Mini Meat Balls

1/2 lb or more Beef Chuck
1 egg yolk
3 Tablespoons breadcrumbs
1/2 small onion, chopped
1/4 cup fresh grated Italian cheese
1 tsp fresh herbs, thyme, sage etc.
Good Salt & Pepper TT

Pulse all ingredients until well combined. Add additional egg yolk if necessary or additional breadcrumbs. Form into teaspoon size balls forming them in your hands. Heat a large skillet and add some olive oil. Gently add in the meatballs and allow to brown before shaking the pan. They should roll around and brown nicely on all sides. Remove from heat and allow to drain on a paper towel. They can now be added to your favorite red sauce and served with pasta, or used in anything you like.

This was an easy dual application of a cut of beef. I'm excited to have the meatballs with some of my homemade fresh pasta and the wonderful Red Sauce from the 25lbs of Tennessee tomatoes, and my father will finally get that burger he has been asking for.

Live, Love, Eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment