Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Baby, It's Cold Outside


A few days ago it was 80 degrees here in Andersonville. Today it's 42 degrees and raining off and on. My California blood is not thick enough for this drastic change. Mother nature is so odd. Thankfully I came prepared with my spirit hood and several scarves. I feel a bit like Punky Brewster with my fashion choices but it seems to suit me just fine. The deer and wild turkeys here don't seem to mind. The air was still for most of the day and now the wind is blowing a bit causing the leaves to fall.

I made pasta again today. Pappardelle seemed appropriate. Pappardelle (sg.: pappardella) are large, very broad fettuccine. The name derives from the verb “pappare,” to gobble up. Every time I look out in the yard there are 11 wild turkeys hanging out looking delicious and quite beautiful. I made a quick sauce with butter, a splash of cream, fresh sage, thyme and lemon zest. The same flavors, minus the cream were mixed into a butter that topped the broiled lobster tails. Quite a lovely and rich meal. The turkey's will live to see another day.

I finally found a great wooden block that I can use to knead dough. I had been on a hunt for quite some time. I now have lots of pasta hanging dry. I'd like to build a fire and cuddle up. I finished reading a book I started a few days ago. Overall, it's been a lovely week so far. I have been getting a lot of photos from my girl friends who are doing quite a bit of cooking themselves. They seem so happy and I am so proud of them. Too bad I'm not there to taste their creations. Hopefully they will bake something and mail it to me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment