Friday, October 7, 2011

GMTN Goes NYC: Part 3

If you don't know, now you know...

How to make awesome brunch FTW:
Taylor Pork Roll, cut at the edges in four places
Stuffed French Toast, two ways
Perfect Bacon, from JJ the Bacon Chef
Cinnamon Rolls, like mama makes from the tube
Scrambled Eggs, or Matty's Omelette
Katie's Potatoes
Hungry Friends
Bottomless Mimosas



I'm waiting on Katie to send me her Stuffed French Toast recipe. Until then...let's discuss bacon.

I have been makin' bacon for a long time. My friend JJ is a bacon chef along with an amazing artist and pastry chef. When the task of brunch bacon arose, I signed JJ up! He used a technique that I have never seen. I know how to make it in a microwave, in the oven, and on the stovetop, or so I thought.

JJ ripped open the package, cut the whole thing in half and piled it all in a pan. When I say this is the best bacon I have ever had, I am not exaggerating. He cooked it over medium heat which allowed the bacon to steam and then deep fry itself once the fat was rendered out slowly. It is nothing short of a miracle. It's the outcome of the product that is so stunning. It had nothing to do with the type of bacon used. It was cooked properly. JJ took it off the heat while it looked a little soft. He allowed it to drain on paper towels and viola, perfection! It crisped from the carry over heat. It was so much easier than stretching out the pieces and watching them burn in the pan.

I encourage you to try it this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment