Wednesday, October 5, 2011

California Sunset

There are only a handful of things I miss about California. At the top of the list is a three year old named Myles, my BFF's and their families, good sushi and a California sunset.

As my flight was getting in last night, I was so grateful that it was the perfect time to see California's painted sky. Better yet, it was a birds eye view between the layers of clouds. They say home is where the heart is, and this means I have pieces of home in all of the five states I have been to in the past few days.

Every time I leave New York, and now New Jersey, it's difficult. That place does something magical to me. I'm not sure if it's the buildings, the characters that live there, the food, or just the adventures that make me aware that my time is not done in the city. The friendships I have in that region are unlike the others in my life. I don't often see my city friends but whenever I do, I realize how much they make me smile when I'm not there. It's a great feeling.

Exhausted from my travels, I somehow managed to find the energy to go see my friends in California after my flight. Myles, whom I haven't seen in two months was excited to see me. I was worried he wouldn't remember me or recognize me with my blonde hair. I greatly underestimated the abilities of a three year old. He gave me a big hug and showed me around his new home. He has matured so much in eight weeks. He speaks so clearly now it's unreal. He sings songs. This makes me smile.

Sometimes you can have several homes. As long as you love where you are when you're there you'll never get homesick.

No comments:

Post a Comment