Sunday, October 23, 2011

Happy Days in East Tennessee

Living, dining, driving, and just about every daily activity is an adventure in East Tennessee. Today was no exception. My father's golf buddy is visiting us from Florida and the two of them were out working in the garden while I was reading the Huffpost News on my iPad on the back deck. I was attacked by ladybugs. This seems odd to me. In the past several days I have seen so many ladybugs that I can't even begin to dream of the number (I run out of fingers and then stop counting). Gerry has been enjoying cutting the several acre lawn on the tractor for the past two days and has proved himself to be quite useful around R Ranch.

The men decided we were going out to eat this evening. I quite liked the idea since there would be less dishes to clean up and it is a welcome break from cooking. We headed down into town and towards the "Good Mexican" restaurant. It's Sunday in the bible belt. It was closed. Thankfully Siri lives in my new iPhone and was there to help. The men laughed when I pushed a button on my phone while we were sitting in an empty parking lot and said, "I'm hungry." Less than three seconds later I had a response from my new BFF saying, "Okay, there are 12 restaurants open near you", and then they were listed with maps and directions. Siri is awesome, minus the fact that those restaurants were all fast food joints. Not her/it's fault though, Siri has no gender but sounds female.

I then recalled a BBQ and Seafood joint a bit down the road that I have wanted to try. Riverview Grill. We headed off in that direction. Gerry was now intrigued by my personal assistant. When we drove up there were all sorts of cars parked outside. Success! Not only was it open but it had a Bud Light sign glowing in the window. This means they have beer! Epic win on a Sunday in Tennessee.

In the parking lot were several classic and unique cars. A group of folks gathered to eat and talk cars in the restaurant that overlooks the river, hence the name Riverview. We were greeted by a woman who was sweet as a summer peach and she showed us to our table. Her Southern mannerisms were so cute and proper. I might have surprised her when I was excited to be able to order a beer in a restaurant but it doesn't take much to get me riled up these days. The men ordered ice teas and were asked, "Sweet or un?", to which they replied, " Un." Then, bless her heart, she asked, "Would y'all both like leeh minz?" I looked at my puzzled father and grabbed his arm and answered for him, "No thank you, no lemons", just as she started to repeat herself. I thought he was going to burst out laughing and the lady was so sweet that I didn't want her to think he was laughing at her. When she walked away he was of course laughing but at the fact that he had no idea what she said and I did.

Living in California and New York etc., I don't see menus with a credit card minimum printed on the cover. In TN, they find it necessary to not only have a minimum but it's $6.99!?! At what point am I able to walk in to a semi-decent clean restaurant and order a bite to eat and even a tea for less than $6.99? Oh, yeah I guess it happens here. A single beer costs more than that where I was raised and you sure weren't getting a bite of food for anything near that price. This does not speak to the quality of the food or cleanliness of the place. I was actually quite impressed. They even had fried pickles on the menu! This always brings me joy and is my secret inner glutton treat. The guys had burgers that looked lovely and the smoker pit out front is calling me back to try their BBQ. It was a wonderful dinner out and I look forward to going back. Heck, I might even work there someday, it was so much fun.

My Tennessee adventures continue with smiles and laughter and I like it just fine, thaank yoouu ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment