Saturday, October 22, 2011

Fall Harvest: Pumpkin Fun!

The garden harvest seems to be the gift that keeps on giving. I have made a huge variety of items from the pumpkins including a really great Turkey Pumpkin Chili. With Halloween just around the corner I decided to decorate a couple of my homegrown pumpkins. I had no idea what I was going to do. My craft supplies here are a bit limited. I have Mod Podge, a couple colors of paint, some Swarovski crystals.

I knew I want a gold and crystal covered pumpkin. That was an easy decision. I painted it and then applied each of the 150 Swarovski crystals by hand. It took some time but I'm happy with the outcome. The photos don't do it justice. When you walk by it it sparkles and is so pretty.

Next, I made some copies of photos from the trips I have taken with my father. I covered a pumpkin in Mod Podge and allowed it to cure. It became shiny and glorious. I cut out the photos and placed them all over the pumpkin and again a layer of Mod Podge. Instant decoupage pumpkin of wonderful memories from two Italian vacations, a trip to Spain and another to Paris. I plan to paint the pumpkin a bit more and add some flair to it.

The third pumpkin was painted pearl. It turned out more silver than pearl, but still pretty. I again covered it in Mod Podge to give it some shine and seal the delicate paint. After staring at it for a day I decided it needed some lace. I didn't have any on hand. Then, I thought it would be fun to put a fishnet stocking on it. I found a thigh high fishnet stocking for under $5 at the store and realized the lace top version would be perfect! I slipped it on the pumpkin and again gave it a covering of Mod Podge to protect it and adhere the stocking to the pumpkin.

When it dried, I was left with a unique pumpkin that was extremely easy to decorate. I really enjoyed this project and while searching for lace in the archives here, I found a huge inflatable pumpkin from 1988. It was once used for in store promotion of Friday The 13th being available on videocassette. Awesome find and I'm excited to be in the holiday spirit!

No comments:

Post a Comment