Friday, October 14, 2011

Crazy Little Thing Called Love

Well, California did me proud today. Yesterday was unreasonably hot. Today was in the 80's and a perfect day for lunch by the beach. My dear friend Marie and I were discussing where to have lunch and I said anywhere with a view. She suggested Las Brisas patio in Laguna Beach. We are both very fond of the restaurant having both grown up enjoying meals with our favorite loved ones there over the years.

We shared a three hour meal. In that time we had a lot of catching up to do. Marie was married in June to her best friend and perfect match, Dave. I was blessed to be their Pastry Chef for the wedding and made their cake and cupcakes. We spent time discussing love, life and all the blessings we both have in our lives. We talked a lot about love because to me it's something I'm so curious about. The best resource for information regarding the subject is definitely a newlywed whom evidently was smart enough to seek, find and successfully develop a healthy relationship. My lawyer/BFF Gracie and I have been studying this rare breed of people for years. Without concrete evidence of the existence of such a thing, at times it's like we were hunting for Bigfoot or Nessy, all the while believing that the possibility truly does exist. Marie has been able to honestly answer my questions and bring words to the ideas of what it's really like in all forms, not just in a marriage.

Over chips and guacamole, we enjoyed so many laughs, the most amazing view, the sound of crashing waves, great people watching, and California sunshine. There was a woman who was painting under her umbrella and straw hat. I have seen this at the exact same spot for so many years but today something was different. There was a point where the ocean was still and it looked like glass. Marie pointed this out and we both sat in awe. It lasted for a minute or two and in that moment it felt like eternity. Almost as if the world stood still for that brief moment in time. I don't ask questions in times like these. I just enjoy it and soak it all in.

So back to this love thing...I love lunches in Laguna, I love my beautiful friends, and I love that love is the only four letter word that I love to say. I don't want to imagine what my life would be like without love. I've already forgotten what it's like to not believe in it or want to question it. I'm the luckiest girl in the world, and I love that too.

1 comment: