Friday, October 28, 2011

Ghosts of Halloween

Halloween is quite possibly my favorite time of year. Ghouls, ghosts, goblins, witches brew, haunted houses, corn mazes, haunted hayrides, and dressing up! I love getting to be someone else for a day. For a long time I made my own costumes. I never liked the idea of being one of three "Sexy Cats" at a party, in fact, I have never been a cat. In third grade I bought a clear trash bag and filled it up with a bunch of multi-colored balloons and went to school as a bag of Jelly Belly's. My mother once helped me construct and sew an exact replica of The Bee Girl from the Blind Melon video, I tapped danced at every door while Trick-or-Treating. I have twice been a member of Kiss, and last year I wore a really cool Masquerade mask at a party where I knew everyone and went unrecognized even by people I have dated. That was really eye opening!

This year, it remains to be seen what I will come up with. I quite like the idea of a mask and comfy cute outfit considering the weather report for Nashville where I'm going has a low of 32 degrees that evening. It's not exactly conditions for standard sexy Halloween attire.

Another reason to love Halloween is all of the creative projects I have been able to do over the years. By far my favorite was an 82nd Birthday cake for Julie Adams, the actress from the original 1954 movie, Creature From The Black Lagoon. My friend whom is also a "Slider" in Ghost-town at Knott's Scary Farm, commissioned me to make her a cake. It was presented to her in front of a crowd of hundreds at a City wide Halloween celebration and haunted festival where they screened the film outside at a park and had a Q & A with the actress. It was awesome. I think they were expecting a little sheet cake with some frosting decorations. I instead made a Creature, completely out of sugar and sat his head in a murky pool of jello with a sugar webbed hand reaching out of the water. The detail was pretty amazing and the reaction was priceless. I got to spend some time with the actress before the cake was presented and she was so surprised when she found out later that I had made the cake.


However you choose to celebrate, be creative! Halloween only comes once per year and it is an awesome time to enjoy creative projects and fun with friends!

2 comments:

  1. You need to post a picture of the Bee Costume! I can still picture it vividly in my mind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't got a clue where one might bee ;)

    ReplyDelete