Tuesday, August 30, 2011

When Doves Cry



At home there is no cellular reception. This means I can't send or receive phone calls or text messages. It's terrible. I do however have a fancy little iPhone app called HeyTell that runs on my Wi-Fi connection. It is my primary means of keeping in contact with my friends. I got a HeyTell message from my best friend. She was telling me how she lost her appetite for the day and had celery and hummus followed by a bottle of wine. This, to me, sounds like a perfectly acceptable and well rounded diet plan. I didn't understand why she was concerned about it and now she is no longer concerned. Another friend recently posted on facebook about her incredible concert performance in the car and how she was sorry we missed it. I put on a pretty dang good performance myself today to When Doves Cry. I saw Prince in concert again a few months ago and it was amazing. I was almost as good as him today but my stage was a Jeep on a curvy road. You're really missing out by not being here.

I made my way down to Wally World for some fun. I decided to replace my weathered pink pool with a fresh blue one. I need to swim to get out of the heat. I was walking around and every time I'm there I keep finding myself in the Hunting/Fishing section of the store. In Florida my dad was a member at the Manatee Gun and Archery Club. Here I think we are allowed to set up a shooting range in the back yard. Concealed weapons permits are easier to get than a drivers license. It is completely normal to see folks running errands with a gun attached to their belt and the sound of gunfire echos through the hills on a regular basis. I know guns can be a touchy subject but they have become something that for me is better to understand and be comfortable with rather than fear. I like shooting. Plain and simple. It's fun. I attended Camp as a kid and we did archery. I loved it. I found myself in the aisle staring at the foam targets with the bullseye on them. They are taunting me. There was a crowd of men over by the bow and arrows so I left the area, defeated. I am taking bets on how long it takes before I buy that foam target and my very own bow.

I made my way over to the food section. I have been asked if I miss California, and the answer is, not yet. I do however miss having a friend with a child because they always have snacks in their house that I would never buy for myself. I'm not really a snacker as it is. I could live happily on a diet of celery, hummus, and wine. I think having had a long conversation today with Monique, the mother of an almost three year old, made me purchase the goldfish. I don't have any excuse for it but now I have them in my childless home. I would assume that was a better idea than stopping at the house next door to the Baptist church who has a sign out front on pink poster board that is also taunting me. It reads, "Free Kittens". I won't take a picture of it because that means I will have to stop and that is not a good idea.

Back to the idea of Fantasy, I am realizing that all of those Disney movies I watched growing up have some similarities to my interests and experiences here in Tennessee. I have Bambi living in my back yard, and Mandyland is quite similar to Never Neverland. At this point in my life it's better than living out Romeo & Juliet. I finally bought something orange today. That color is everywhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment