Monday, August 29, 2011

The Hundred Acre Wood









A couple of months ago, my father got a visit from a local fireman. He stopped by to explain that he was part of the county cave mapping team. Anderson county has over 100 caves, most of which surround the lake or make their path towards it. He informed my father that two caves sit on our property. One of them had been mapped a few years back and the other was discovered when they were going out to explore the first one. He asked if he would mind if they got a team together to go explore it. My father was excited. They exchanged numbers and time went by.

About two weeks ago we got a call and a message from the fireman. He had a team together and they wanted to come the following Sunday. Just after we heard the message there was a knock at the door. He stopped by to see if we got his message. They chatted on the front porch and I got the abbreviated version of the story. Three people would show up around 9am and be out by 5pm. If they weren't out by then to make their phone call to check in, the rescue team would be deployed.

It was raining when they showed up. The grass in the field hadn't been cut yet. It was a professor, the fireman, and a female geologist, all in wetsuits. They invited us to come down with them. I was happy to watch from the covered back deck. At about 4:15pm they resurfaced covered in mud. They explained that it was really dark, a few bats, a couple of tunnels, and then a glorious area with 50 foot ceilings, and green pools of water. It's the biggest cave they have ever seen and it goes on and on. Now I wish I had gone with them. I didn't even know where it was. The only idea I had was to start walking in the area of where they parked the car.

The trees in the uncut area are over 100 feet tall. I have walked in about ten feet at the far right of the yard where there is a path. It's gorgeous but almost too familiar from the movies I have seen. It looks like there is a hobbit living somewhere or a white horse is going to come running through, Robin Hood could possibly be living in there. Any description I give to the area does not do it justice. I call it the Hundred Acre Wood and when I got my nerves up after several encouraging words from my friends, I went on a search for Hunny. The Winnie the Pooh reference and possibility of seeing Eeyore was the only comforting thing about walking into the unknown. It's not nearly as scary as I thought.

When I walked into the area where the cave explorers went, my mouth dropped. There is a giant sink hole that goes down about 25 feet. There are trees growing from the center of it. Right there about 20 feet in from where the trees start is the cave entrance. I couldn't believe how close it was and how big it is. I walked around the edge of the sink hole which is situated on a hill and just stood in awe. Now I really want to go in. There is no way to go down there unprepared and hope to make it back up. This is going to require some equipment. I think I will be able to get to the entrance with just a rope to be able to get back up. This remains uncharted territory for now.

I have always been a cautious person, not taking too big of risks when I don't know what I'm doing. I am getting a bit more adventurous daily. I took the tractor down to the other end of the yard that I previously couldn't get to because the grass was so high. I found the other cave and saw so much of natures beauty. This place is awesome! I feel like a kid again though, I never really grew up. I suggest a cocktail to celebrate my new found desire for Spelunking and adventures in your own back yard!

Hundred Acre Hunny Pot

1 part Jack Daniels Tennessee Honey
3 parts Diet Ginger Ale
Fresh or frozen berries for garnish
Ice
Mason Jar

Put ice in the mason jar. Add Jack Daniels Tennessee Honey and fill the rest of the jar with diet ginger ale. Top with berries and enjoy. Simple and refreshing! Everything tastes better out of a mason jar, especially when it's Hunny.

*Too early here for a drink, so no photo. Sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment