Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Rib Eye & Black Bean Chili



I'm a chef but, long ago I used to cook from boxes and cans. You have to start somewhere. I have 10 uses for Top Ramen in my repertoire and make a mean box of scalloped potatoes. Cereal & marshmallows? Just ask my BFF Monique about Cocoa Puff & Captain Crunch Treats. They were our after school snack when we were in high school. I think that's where my love of playing with sugar stems from.

I picked up some Rib Eye steaks from the butcher. They actually have a butcher in the local market! He's really friendly and filled with knowledge about meats and the area. A little backstory about my relationship with meat; I am terrified of ground beef. I always have been. I was vegetarian and vegan long enough to have learned about the cuisine's but my fear of mystery cow started long before that. Nowadays, I will eat steak tartar and order a filet by saying "just smack the cow and bring it out". A burger will not be on my plate. In the 25 years (off and on) that I spent in CA, I have indulged at In-N-Out countless times. Never have I had a burger there. Strictly grilled cheese, sometimes I order it "Animal Style". I love In-N-Out as much as anyone else. In NYC, my favorite place to indulge is Shake Shack. Of course I get the "Shroom Burger" and that might be on my list of favorite things of all time. At the restaurant group I work for, they make their own ground chuck. I've had that burger cooked well done, only because I saw the machine it was made in and watched it start to finish. Mystery ground beef from the grocery store will not be in my fridge. Watch the news and you will understand my terror.

Back to the steaks, I wanted to make chili. I don't think I have made it in years and it sounded good. Using some already prepared ingredients and spices I made the easiest "cheater chili". You can definitely make the same thing from scratch using dry beans and fresh tomatoes but I like the 1 hour version. I used a pre-fab, low salt, chili spice package and did not follow the instructions on the package. It starts with ground beef and I lost interest in reading after that. Ignore those directions and follow these.

Rib Eye & Black Bean Chili

1.25 lbs of high quality Rib Eye Steak, cubed
1 medium onion, diced
1 package low sodium chili spices
2 cans Bush's black beans (Bush's is based in Tennessee! I'm all about supporting the locals.)
2 cans fire roasted diced tomatoes (I used some Tex-Mex something or other. It was in the pantry.)
2-3 Tablespoons cocoa powder TT
1/4 cup of chipotle's in adobo chopped or TT
Salt & Pepper TT

In a heavy bottom pot, saute the onion in a little bit of oil until tender. Add the steak and cook until the meat is nicely browned. Add in the rest of the ingredients and stir. If the chili is too thick at this point or anytime you can add stock to thin it out. (Chicken stock is what I used because I have it on hand, or if you make the vegetarian version of the recipe vegetable will work just fine.) Simmer on low for an hour. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Garnish with your topping of choice. Sour cream can help cut the heat if it's too spicy. I served mine with rice but this chili can be used for anything you want. Chili cheese fries, on a baked potato, etc. This recipe will make a fantastic vegetarian version if you omit the steak. There you have it, super easy to make chili, and it's so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment