Saturday, August 27, 2011

Hay Hay, that's quite a nice shirt you got.









Someone told me today is Saturday. Makes sense why there were so many people at Wal-Mart and the dump today. I haven't seen that much traffic heading up the road to the Marina since I have been here. Lines everywhere. I have lost track of the days of the week but sometimes I'm reminded. A rather exciting outing includes a trip down the crooked road to find some treasures at the ONLY large store within a 30 minute drive. Wal-Mart is the happening place. My Aunt Toots came to visit my father in late July and when I asked her about her visit she explained the highlights of the town and the same excitement that I have for the tractor. I found a couple of pictures of her riding it. Quite amusing. She also joked about how Wal-Mart is the only thing around. I think it's safe to say she, like me, does not frequent the store in her hometown of Boulder, CO.

A very foreign concept to me is going to the dump. There are no weekly or bi-weekly trash men that come by. I assume out here you could get away with burning it but that's a bit to rustic for my tastes. We, like everyone else in the community, drive down to the dump and separate out things among the big blue bins. Everything has it's place and there are explicit instructions to not rummage through and no dumping oil. I considered myself well exposed to to what life is like but the only thing I have learned since I have been here is that I know a lot less than I thought. I never thought about what I put into a trash bag until now. I now consider everything about it; how heavy it will be, if it will leak, what category blue bin it will end up in, and how long can it sit here before it makes it's way down the hill, is there a raccoon that will come and get to it before I get it out of here. There was a back-up at the dump today so I took a picture while I waited in line. There is a whole dump protocol that I am picking up on, and the concept of owning a pickup truck makes a lot more sense to me.

Finally after disposing of several bags and a box of yucky stuff, I was on my way to have a look around at the place with the big blue sign. I know I tried to explain how much orange there was but I think photographic evidence is necessary. I was also wrong about there being four places in the store with displays, I counted seventeen today. The orange shirts were everywhere! On people too, not just on the racks. I still will not purchase that color. The only orange thing I like, I have growing in my garden. The pumpkins are still producing new blossoms. I found two new baby watermelons also.

After my big shopping adventure, I made my way back up the hill. Not less than two minutes after I got the bags inside, I heard tractor noises. I was probably a little too excited to see heavy machinery but the guys came by to roll the hay! My dad made his way down to chat with the guy as he was driving by with the thingy that makes the small rows into bigger rows. I went down and was a dumb blonde and asked about the process. A few minutes later another tractor with a different thingy on the back came by and followed the first one around. It picks up the hay and rolls it and then drops the bails out of the back. They came by after with another tractor with what looks like a forklift on the front and back and a flat bed trailer. In a matter of minutes the dozen rolls of hay were gone. For what seems like a simple process, they have hundreds of thousands of dollars invested in that equipment. I am thankful that they come by and take care of that for us. Apparently they won't be back for the rest of the year. Does that mean it gets cold here? Uh oh!

No comments:

Post a Comment