Sunday, August 21, 2011

Sunshine and Sunflowers


This was my welcome wagon. Came home to the hills of Andersonville, TN, about 25 minutes north of Knoxville. Sunshine and sunflowers greeted me. Home sweet home. Not sure I was ready for the rest of it though.

I had visited back in May 2011 when my father had been here a few weeks. He had done little unpacking at the time. I was welcomed to his dream home. I grew up spending my summers in a place similar on a lake not too far from here. My Aunt and Grandparents each had houses on Lake Chatuge. My Aunt was on the North Carolina side of the lake and Grandparents had a house on the Georgia side. Prior, I didn't know the two states touched. It was a wonderful area to spend hot summers learning how to waterski with my cousins and spend time with my family. My dad always wanted to build a log cabin that had land for my dog Sadie to run around on. He inherited her when I moved to an apartment and was working full time. Years later he purchased this home in TN. It's as close as he would get as I don't think it possible for him at his age to build a home from the ground up. Don't get me wrong, he's all man and can build anything but I don't he has the patience to sleep in a tent or motel for long enough to make it happen. Also, it's highly unlikely he would buy a trailer while building a dream. It was an easy transition and in the first few days that I was in the small town running errands I realized everyone already knew who I was. Something about a small town that is welcoming and another that I stand out as not being from these parts. My father is social and, so as it was, I was know before I got here.

Andersonville, TN, population 4245, now, plus one.

No comments:

Post a Comment