Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Fried Green Tomatoes


Almost* as good as my mom's.
The garden here has several varieties of tomatoes that I planted on my last visit. I missed most of them but there are still a few growing and I couldn't resist the idea of fried green tomatoes. My mother made them on rare occasion as I was growing up in California. Green tomatoes are difficult to find out there. Not the case in Tennessee! They sell them in the same area as the red ones in the stores and roadside markets have them as well. I'm beginning to like this place more and more each day.
I called my mother at work to ask her how she makes her tomatoes and she gave me the recipe after putting me on hold and then telling me about the conversation she was having with someone in the office. I called for a recipe not gossip. I am convinced as always that she didn't give me the exact one she uses as per usual with her. I am left to fend for myself in the kitchen attempting to get into her head and I came close but not quite today. Nonetheless they were pretty darn good and I made a Chipotle Aioli for a little kick.

Not My Mom's Fried Green Tomatoes

Green Tomatoes, firm & sliced about 1/4in thick
Cornmeal & AP Flour in the ratio of 1:2
Garlic Powder TT
Salt & Pepper TT
Egg well beaten

Mix together the dry ingredients. Double dip the tomatoes starting in the egg and finish with the flour mixture. Shallow fry in butter and oil turning once. Allow to drain on a paper towel and serve hot with sauce of your choice.

If you are new to cooking or Mandyland, TT=To Taste and AP=All Purpose. Recipe size is dependent on how many you are making and can be adjusted accordingly. Try other spices in the breading mixture. Next time I think I will use a mixture similar to my fried chicken breading and add the cornmeal.

No comments:

Post a Comment