Wednesday, August 24, 2011

What to do with 25 lbs of Tennessee tomatoes






Everyone I know loves pasta and red sauce (don't call it gravy around me!)...My father especially being raised by his Italian mother knows a thing or two about fresh pasta and tomato sauce.

He had the genius idea of getting a case of local tomatoes from a produce place in downtown Knoxville. Great idea...minus the fact that most people use canned tomatoes simply for the reason that it's a LOT of work. He was clueless and set out to give me a project. Funny that he uses the term "we", as in "we" can make our own sauce and it will be good for a couple of months. I knew better but thankfully, I don't mind a little bit of work in the kitchen.

So, I set out to make a sauce that will work with his new diet which doesn't include salt or alcohol. Two of my pantry staples. Follow the recipe and add a handful of good salt at the end (not that little iodized stuff) and a bottle of red wine and you will have something that will blow your mind and keep you fed through winter. You can use it for homemade pizza, not just pasta.

I started with 25 pounds of tomatoes, or a case. It filled the sink when I was washing them...then the work begins. Get a large pot of water boiling and an ice bath. Score the tomatoes using a paring knife and put a little x on the bottom. Don't cut in too deep in the flesh or you will have a mess in your blanching vessel. Blanch the tomatoes for 30-60 seconds then plunge into ice water immediately to stop the cooking. I think my father lost interest when he realized that I was going to score the tomatoes and peel them. He helped peel two out of the five million that I blanched. Thanks Dad ;)

After blanching them, peel the skins off. They will be easy to remove. Then cut into them and squish out the seeds and water. Repeat for the remaining five million tomatoes. Truth be told I think the process took me about four hours. I had good music on and I was determined to conquer the tomatoes without a meltdown. I won.

Heat up some olive oil in a large heavy bottom pot and add carrots, bell peppers, onions and cook until tender. Add tomato paste if you want at this point and then the bottle of wine I was talking about. Add the peeled/seeded tomatoes and lots of fresh thyme, chopped garlic, oregano, red pepper flakes if you like some heat, fresh ground pepper, bay leaves, and save the basil until its almost done unless you're using dry stuff. Cook for several hours on low. Taste it as you go and adjust seasoning, remembering that you will add salt when it's done. You can't take it out once it's in there.

Once you have achieved perfection, then you can salt it to taste and take it off the heat.

Get our your jars and canning tongs. 25 lbs of tomatoes cooked to perfection minus the bottle of wine made 6 quart jars of sauce for me. Boil the jars and lids then fill them and seal them. Process the jars for 45 minutes in boiling water that covers the jars. set at room temperature to cool and then check the seals. Voila, perfect sauce to share and enjoy for the coming months.

If you're feeling adventurous after that feat, make some fresh pasta and try the sauce. See the recipe for fresh pasta in the Pumpkin Ravioli post below.



No comments:

Post a Comment