Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Girl Meets Lightbulb

By all accounts I'm considered a bright girl. It's possible that I have been considered "above average" intelligence. Today I proved the anthesis not only to myself but to my father as well. For months, I have mentioned that the lightbulb above my bathtub was burned out. We were at Home Depot a few weeks ago and my father mentioned that I should grab a lightbulb to replace it. I knew it was a Floodlight as my knowledge of lightbulbs is quite extensive having worked for a company where we did lightbulb checks daily and I was several times sent on a scavenger hunt for illusive bulbs at Light Bulbs Etc. Problem being that when given so many options in the lighting department at Home Depot, I realized I didn't know what size it was. For future reference, floodlights come in many sizes.

A week ago at another store, we again came across floodlights and I still hadn't paid attention to the size. I made it a point when I got home to check on it. I again forgot about buying the bulbs until today. Then, for the third time, I had a run in with floodlights and finally knew what size to get. I figured that I should not change the bulb with the fixture turned on. I turned off my bathroom lights and turned on the the closest light which is just outside my bathroom door. It made the all too familiar sound of clink and pop and it was out. Great, another lightbulb to replace, and this one is housed behind glass and screws. This lightbulb thing is getting complicated.

I decided to replace the bathtub bulb with the lights on in the bathroom. What's the worst that can happen? A burn, a shock? I just wanted to have all of my lights working as I notice when a lightbulb is out and it tends to bother me. If I see a burned out bulb at a restaurant or several, I immediately know the business and management doesn't care. Lighting is something that is so important, especially in a restaurant. If they don't care to change the bulbs, what else are they not keeping up with?

I unscrewed the bulb and replaced it. I was neither burned nor shocked. The bulb didn't work. I then assumed it must be a problem with the fixture. I know how to replace a fixture in a lamp and have installed a chandelier without assistance. I have amazing skills when it comes to not wanting to hire someone to do everything for me. I am quite capable of making things function. Fixing a recessed light fixture is above my talents though, and it's not going to make it to my to-do list. I tried turning off the lights and turning them back on thinking it would help. Then I tried the fan switch and that was a fail as well.

I looked down defeated. Then I noticed something I haven't seen before. A light switch on the wall of the alcove where the bathtub is located. Yep, youbetcha! That switch when flipped to the on position makes the light above the bathtub work. This means that not only was the original lightbulb not burned out, but it has it's own glorious controls to where my lighting can be just over the bath. It was not my brightest moment. On the flip side, I did replace the fully functioning bulb with an energy efficient bulb thereby saving the world. Maybe I am still a smart girl after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment