Saturday, November 12, 2011

Milk & Cookies: Nutella Chocolate Chip





Growing up I had a British nanny named Sarah, for a short period of time. She introduced me to several wonderful things. She let me have a pet mouse which I likely named Joey as I named every pet I "found" Joey, up until the turtle I brought home later in life turned out to be a snapping turtle named Joey who showed me why I should have left him at the golf course in Georgia.

Sarah also bought me Nutella. Nutella is a chocolate hazelnut spread that I used to eat on toast for breakfast. It is a very versatile ingredient I have learned over the years. It's delicious served in crepes with bananas, on pancakes, in a sandwich, using wonton wrappers and deep fried it makes an amazing dessert ravioli. Today I decided to try it in a cookie.

Monique my BFF was baking my favorite cookie recipe, "Peanut Blossoms" which eventually inspired my peanut butter chocolate chip cookies. You can find my recipe here: Milk & Cookies. She sent me a photo and then I wanted one. Instead of the wonderful peanut butter cookie topped with a Hershey's Kiss, I began to think I wanted a chocolate-chocolate chip cookie.

It's been a while since I have baked, so why not try to come up with a cookie recipe? I watched a Top Chef marathon recently and the Sesame Street muppets were on one of the episodes. Cookie Monster was inspiring as a Top Chef judge. He wanted Chocolate Chip Cookies and so I created my own challenge, coming up with a cookie without using a recipe. Sometimes, I am my only entertainment. I know what proportions seem to work and off I went. I opened my cupboard and realized I had Nutella! Fun! What follows is a recipe that was created this evening in my Tennessee kitchen.


Nutella Chocolate Chip Cookies

10 T Butter or 1 stick plus 2 T, softened
1 cup Sugar
1/2 tsp Vanilla
1 Egg
3 T Nutella
1 1/3 cups AP Flour
1/4 cup Cocoa Powder
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1/4 tsp good Salt
1/4 cup or more Milk Chocolate and or White Chocolate Chips
Raw Sugar for garnish

Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla and egg and beat until light and fluffy. Add in Nutella and continue to mix until well combined, scraping down the sides of the mixer if necessary. Add in the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. With a spatula, stir in the chocolate chips by hand. Turn the dough out onto a piece of parchment or wax paper and roll into a log. Refrigerate for 2 hours or place in the freezer for 20-30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Slice circles of dough and form into balls or use a portion scoop. Roll dough balls in raw sugar and place on parchment or Silpat lined baking sheet. Bake 10-13 minutes (or more depending on the size) or until they look done. Cookies will be soft. Allow the cookies to sit on the baking sheet for 1-2 min before transferring to a wire rack to cool. Enjoy with milk, or a nice Port or Sherry and some friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment