Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Lump Crab Ravioli: Crabioli








When I made my shopping list this week it included, Lobster, Lamb, Crab, Scallops, and Chicken. It has been a while since I have made ravioli and cheese ravioli sounded good to me. My father had another idea; Crab Ravioli. This is something I have never made before. I have used lobster and seasonal vegetables and cheese and spinach but it never crossed my mind to use lump crab meat in that application. So as per usual with me, I set out to make it delicious and without a recipe. I work much better without directions or other peoples ideas.

Pasta and ravioli in particular are time consuming tasks. I got off the hook for building shelves today because Uncle Bob came over and saved the day. I got to work in the kitchen. I used my own pasta recipe and then figured out what I had on hand that would go well with crab. I decided against a tomato based sauce as I think it holds up well to beef but unless it's almost broth like, it tends to overwhelm fish and seafood dishes. I made a creamy herbed white sauce, although it's very rich. I think a nice lemon and brown butter sauce would be just as nice.

Put on some music and your cutest apron and get to work. Today was a Best Of Carly Simon day for me while wearing my adorable cupcake apron that was sent to me by Rosemary. It's functional and flattering. As long as you feel like you look good while cooking, it makes the work seem like nothing. Always be presentable because you never know who might stop by.

Fresh Pasta

2 cups AP Flour
2 whole eggs
2 egg yolks
pinch of salt
2 tsp good olive oil

Pile the flour on a board. Making a well in the center of the flour add the eggs, salt, and olive oil. Mix in using a fork and then knead with your hands for about 6 minutes or until the dough is shiny. Form into two discs and wrap in plastic. Allow the pasta to rest for 45 minutes. Then using additional flour roll out the sheets.

Crabioli Filling

1/2 cup high quality Lump Crab (nothing from a can that's not in a refrigerated section of the store)
1/4 cup ricotta cheese
2 T fresh grated Italian cheese, Parmesan etc.
2-3 sage leaves
1 sprig fresh thyme
1/4 sweet onion chopped fine
zest 1/2 lemon
Pepper TT
Lemon Juice TT

Saute the onion until soft and then add the chopped herbs. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Transfer to a bowl. Mix in the cheeses, zest, and pepper using a fork. Gently mix in the crab and taste for seasoning. Add a few drops of lemon juice if desired.

Fill the ravioli with the crabby mixture and brush the edges of the bottom sheet of pasta with egg wash. Cover with the top sheet and press around the filling so there are no air bubbles. Cut and flour the raviolis so they do not stick to each other. Gently place in salted boiling water and cook for 3-4 minutes. Drain and top with your creative sauce and garnish with cheese, lemons, and some fresh chopped herbs. Recipe yields lots of ravioli. Finds some friends and enjoy with a great white wine!
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment