Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thanksgiving: Heirloom Quinoa With Asparagus and Mushrooms


On my trip to New York recently, my buddy Josh was practicing his cooking skills and made a Turkey dinner. One of the side dishes he served was Quinoa and Asparagus. Quinoa (pronounced, Keen-Wah) is one of my favorite grains. I often make Quinoa Cakes, a vegetarian dish that I discovered at Whole Foods about ten years ago. It is a pleasant alternative to rice as a side dish and can be made many ways. The version I most often find in the store is a light colored grain. The Heirloom Black variety, I came across at Williams-Sonoma. It has a little more bite to it and the color difference is stunning. In my Thanksgiving meal I added Asparagus and three varieties of mushrooms, Oyster, Shitake, and Baby Bella. It was my favorite side dish and can be made year round with any meal.


Heirloom Quinoa with Asparagus and Mushrooms

1 cup Black Heirloom Quinoa
3 cups water or chicken broth
1 shallot, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 1/2 cups cleaned mushrooms, Oyster, Shitake, Baby Bellas, sliced
1 bunch skinny asparagus, 1 1/2 inch pieces
Salt and Pepper TT
1 T each butter and oil

Rinse the quinoa well under cold water. Place the quinoa and broth or water in a small pot, bring to a boil then reduce the heat to simmer for 20-25 minutes. Set aside and allow to rest. Heat a saute pan and add the butter and oil. Saute the shallots and garlic for 1-2 minutes. Add in the mushrooms and cook on medium low heat. Bring the heat up to medium and add the asparagus. Cook until tender but do not overcook. Salt and pepper to taste. Add the quinoa and toss it all together. Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment