Sunday, February 19, 2012

My Mom's Slow Cooker Pot Roast

I love when my blog writes itself. My mom NEVER gives me her recipes. Ever. I'm not even kidding. I have enjoyed her cooking so much over the years but she never really cooked with me. I find it odd, and have spent over half my life whining about it. Then when my sister asks for something she's happy to send it to her. I think she even made her a cookbook at one point. Something I have never seen.

My Aunt found my mom's Soft Sugar Cookie recipe from the 70's and emailed it to me. That's about the closest I have come until today. In my email inbox there it was....her pot roast recipe that I lived on. I'm not sure why she had a change of heart and maybe I'm being dramatic but I almost didn't believe it when I saw it.

I have such fond memories of her food. This recipe in particular I remember her making early in the morning and by the time she was home from work it was perfection. I would eat it as every meal for days and since I finally have it I am going to share it. These are her words:

Chuck Roast (boneless - good size to fit slow cooker - will cook quicker if cut into large pieces prior to rub)

Mix in slow cooker:

1 can beef boullion soup (if you don't have or can't find use can of beef broth)
1 can regular or golden cream of mushroom soup
1 large can diced tomatoes (flavored with green pepper would be good)
1 large can pearl onions drained (or frozen if available)
3 shakes of worchester sauce
1/2 to 1 cup of red wine

Mix and apply as rub to chuck roast:

1 package dry onion soup
1/2 cup flour
freshly ground pepper
2 T. Rosemary
1 1/2 t. garlic powder
2 T. parsley

Place roast in cooker liquid - add 3 bay leaves - cover and cook on high until bubbly and then lower to low heat

Cook until almost fork (pull apart) tender and add container of fresh sliced mushrooms and (small red/yukon/fingerling potatoes and chunks of slightly pre-cooked (zapped) carrots if desired)

Continuing cooking until really tender (and potatoes are done if used) - thicken sauce if necessary by adding a couple of tablespoons of flour to a cup of the sauce and then re-blend in.

Serve with wide egg noodles and/or potatoes and toasted rosemary ciabatta bread (for dipping!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment