Thursday, February 16, 2012

Brooklyn Braised Short Ribs

I like beer. I hardly ever drink it anymore but I knew there was a way to work it into my diet somehow. Why not eat it? My mother was telling me a story about how she used to make a mushroom barley soup with short ribs that my father loved. I was inspired and have never made barley though I am a fan. That day I came across short ribs in the market and also happened to find one of my favorite beers, Brooklyn Lager. It's quite bitter when used for braising but I liked it. You can use any kind of beer but I suggest something dark and also something you like to drink.

Beer braised short ribs is a great way to feed a crowd. It takes about 15 minutes of active prep time and the rest of the magic happens in the oven as you go about your day. The onions turn into a sweet jam like treat and are great served with the ribs or used in a soup with the meat. If you have a Dutch Oven this is when you want to use it. Otherwise, brown the meat in a pan on the stove and transfer to a baking dish and cover with two layers of foil if you don't have a lid.

Brooklyn Braised Short Ribs

3-5 large bone in beef short ribs
2 onions 1/2 inch slices
2 beers
3 garlic cloves, whole peeled
3 sprigs of fresh thyme
Salt and Pepper TT

Heat your oven to 375 degrees F. Season the short ribs generously on all sides with salt and pepper. Over medium high heat, brown the ribs on all sides. This should take about 3 minutes on each side to get a nice golden brown color. There was enough fat on the meat I purchased but if you have a leaner cut you can add a tablespoon of oil to the hot pan before you put the meat in.

Remove the short ribs and place the onions in the hot pan with the fat that has rendered from the meat. Salt and pepper the onions and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Add in the garlic cloves and thyme.

Place the short ribs on top of the onions and add the beer. Bring to a simmer and then cover.

Transfer the covered ribs to the oven and allow the ribs to braise for at least two and a half hours. Remove the baking vessel and allow to sit for 10-15 minutes uncovered. Like magic you will have a fall off the bone feast fit for a king or you can turn the short ribs into tacos, use them in soup or anything else you want to make with them. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment