Friday, May 18, 2012

Ducks

Remember the episode of the Soprano's where Tony sees ducks swimming in his pool? I have always considered myself a bit quirky. The day before Easter this year I decided it would be a great idea to get myself a pet duck. According to the gentleman at the Farmer's Co-Op the lil ones need a friend so I ended up with two. Stanford and Rosie, I called them. They sat on my lap while I watched TV. I would take them for walks around the yard. They would follow me everywhere. So cute and so much fun.

Then a few weeks later I realized I made a mistake. Stanford was in fact a female, not a male as I had hoped. Stanford became Ford and Rosie was her shy sister. They grew up so fast. Week after week they became less social with me. They enjoy swimming in their lil pond rather than following me around. Rosie won't let me near her anymore. Ford however has remained social and knows where his Cheerios come from.

I now have two full grown Mallard ducks who are just about ready to fly away. My sweet baby birds grew up so quickly. I just hope they don't end up on someone's plate someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment