Sunday, May 27, 2012

Celebrations! Happy Memorial Weekend

In my family, we fly an American flag in the front of our home every day. We celebrate the ability to live in such a beautiful country. At one time my family were immigrants to a land of opportunity and hope. Through many generations we have had many many men serve in the military and whom made an impact on this country. Abraham Lincoln is my seventh cousin. My maternal grandfather was shot in the head at Iwo Jima. My father was in the Army briefly and now after his passing I have another flag folded to remember his service to our country. My brother in law served in Iraq. My mother and nephew were both born at military hospitals.

If you don't know what it is like to have someone in your life deployed, you are lucky. I however am luckier because I have people in my life that are so brave and sacrifice so much so I can sit on my porch and listen to my girlfriends gossip about how there's too much traffic and how Starbucks forgot their extra shot of espresso in their $5 latte. Our service men and women will see more in one day overseas than we will see in a lifetime. They don't complain. They don't fuss about our ignorance of what is going on outside of the little bubbles we live in. They care more, love deeper, live everyday, and still manage to do their jobs sometimes without thanks. So today and everyday that you see a member of any of our armed forces, I ask that you thank them. It's a simple thing to do, to smile and say thank you. You might hear a story if they are willing to share. It could change your day or maybe theirs. I currently live in an area that has a lot of pride for our country and military. It's nice to see the support and love for the many people whom I may never know but they make an impact every day on my life.

Cheers on this Memorial weekend to the brave and beautiful souls that currently serve, the ones who have served, and those who gave all.

No comments:

Post a Comment