Thursday, January 26, 2012

Another Rainy Day Pasta

I'm not sure what it is about the rain that inspires me to make pasta but it happened again. It might also have something to do with the Mozza Cookbook that I find myself flipping through on a regular basis now. My Grandma would spend a day making all sorts of pasta. I remember it hanging on modified broomsticks all over the house. My grandpa had made them for her and he loved not only her, but her amazing pasta. Some she would freeze, some would be dried, but all of it was enjoyed.

I haven't made a spinach or sun dried tomato pasta in a really long time. I think they are next on my list. I love the colors and the bright flavors brought by incorporating other ingredients into the dough. I really want to make Black Pasta as well but considering the advances at the market, I no longer have to clean my calamari so that means I'm without ink. Womp, womp. So sad.

Today I made Truffled Cheese Ravioli and Pappardelle. Both easy and delicious. The pasta dough today was great for rolling out ravioli. I constantly change my pasta recipe based on the weather and when it looks right. Today, this recipe worked out extremely well. The recipe made four servings of pappardelle and 24 cheese filled ravioli.

Fresh Pasta:
2 cups AP flour
2 whole eggs
3 egg yolks
Pinch of salt
2T olive oil

With the dough hook on a stand mixer, mix all ingredients on the lowest speed, stopping and scraping down to make sure all the flour is incorporated. Once a dough is formed, allow to mix for six minutes. Then turn out the dough onto a board and knead by hand for an additional 3 minutes. Spilt the dough in two and form discs. Wrap in plastic and allow to sit at room temp for 45 minutes before rolling the dough into pasta shapes. Use additional flour when rolling out the pasta sheets.

Cook is salted boiling water for 3-4 minutes and serve.

There is nothing like fresh homemade pasta! I froze my ravioli for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment