Friday, December 28, 2012

Grow Your Own Mushroom Garden

City life is great except for how much I miss being able to walk down to my garden and pick what I'm making for dinner. Thankfully Back To The Roots has put a bandaid over my wound on this issue! I was in the produce section of The Fresh Market, and on a display were a bunch of cardboard boxes with a sign above that said "For Kids!". Why must kids have all the fun?

At $19.99 I thought it over an decided that I needed the kit. After reading the packaging I discovered that once my mushrooms grow, if I post a photo on their Facebook page they will donate a kit to an Elementary School class of my choice. So not only do I win, but so do some kids!

When I got home I followed the instructions and took off the side, slit a + into the bag and removed it from the box. I have the bag soaking in water for 12 hours, then in ten days I should have a harvest of Oyster mushrooms. The kit includes a little spray bottle for misting them twice a day. It's like a grown-up edible version of a chia pet! I will update you in ten days or so with a recipe if this all works out!

1 comment: