Friday, November 16, 2012

Ruger and Banjo

There is no love like puppy love. About a week ago I received a phone call about a friend who has been fostering some puppies. She had rescued them from a home where the owner of the parents could no longer afford to feed and nurture them. Nine Australian Shepherd babies. That's a lot of work. My friend runs a non-profit healing animal therapy program for children. My sister actually worked at a place that did the same thing. Horses have an amazing power to connect with people, especially children. It's a great program and I love that I have a friend who runs a program here in Tennessee.

Out at her family farm, there are chickens, horses, dogs, and now nine puppies that needed loving homes. I was invited down to visit. The property is stunning. Set thirty minutes South of Nashville's downtown area where I live, at the end of a cul-de-sac in a seemingly typical suburban neighborhood, the ranch seems to go on and on with pastures and a large barn.

I arrived and went into the area where the puppies were playing. I was overwhelmed by their cuteness! So many playful personalities. At the time only one had been adopted so I had eight to choose from. I had said to my friend, "I have no idea how to pick one." Almost immediately a little girl puppy came a sat on my lap. She didn't move. She cuddled up and stayed sitting on my lap. She was precious and I knew, that she had chosen me.

I had picked a name the night before. I wanted a cool dog name with personal meaning, and something unique. Ruger was intended to be a male dogs name. My little girl was coined Ruger anyway. Ruger Rosenjack is six weeks old and she's very independent. She's a bit like me.

As I was playing with some of the other puppies the little runt, a black and white male came and laid on his back between my legs. He started playfully chewing on my finger and cuddled up to me. My friend had said, "Maybe you would like him instead." I responded with, "No, I like Ruger, but I want this lil guy to have a good home too." I went home madly in love with my little girl. I had planned to let her stay at the barn until she had her shots, so she stayed behind.

Somehow I ended up with both. Ruger and Banjo. I'm in love.

No comments:

Post a Comment