Thursday, November 8, 2012

Baking With Myles, Age 4

I love baking with kids. Their imaginations are so far beyond that of any adult I have encountered. In my classes, the younger students seem to excel. Reason being, they don't spend hours on Pinterest trying to emulate what other people are doing.

Myles wanted to make Ninja Turtle Cupcakes as soon as he found out I was in town. Knowing it was his uncle Armando's 30th birthday, I figured he could be my sous chef for that project. Cake pops are not something I've gotten into making but I understand the appeal. As far as child friendly projects go, this is one of the best. Brownies are a fun alternative that everyone loves! My mother used to make brownies for all of my elementary school bake sales that had a mint icing drizzled on the top. If I can still remember how they tasted 25 years since she last made them for me, then I know it's a good recipe.

I decided on mini cupcake pans and papers being the easiest thing to bake in. My whole plan was to have Myles, who is four, involved as much as possible. He's pretty bossy in the kitchen, and the only one who gets away with it around me. So in my step by step plan, he was in mind.

Ninja Turtle Brownie Pops with Mint Chocolate Shells
Makes 36

1 box brownie mix (9x13 size)
2 eggs
1/3 cup water
1/3 oil

36 Popsicle sticks
Green cake sparkles
1 bag light green candy melts
1/2 bag green candy melts
1/4 tsp mint extract
72 candy eye balls (available at Michael's or Walmart)
Colored frosting tubes (for masks, red, orange, blue, purple)
Petal pastry tip or straight tip

For the brownies:
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Line 36 mini cupcake tins with papers. Cut open the bag of brownie mix and let your helper pour it into the bowl. Break the eggs into a separate bowl (Myles was great at this and I gave him a whisk to mix the eggs).

Have your helper add the eggs, oil, and water to the batter. Let them mix it with a spatula or wooden spoon until combined. Using a portion scoop while Myles mixed, I portioned the batter for the oven. Bake until the tops are no longer shiny. You should know by now I don't use timers and my watch is strictly jewelry.

When the brownies are baked allow them to cool. You can transfer them to the fridge or freezer for a few minutes for impatient helpers.

Unwrap the brownies and insert the Popsicle sticks 1/2-3/4 of the way thru the side. Myles was good with guidance.
Melt over a double boiler or in the microwave, the candy melts. Stirring occasionally until smooth. Then add the mint extract.

Coat the pops in the mint chocolate and set onto a parchment paper lined sheet pan. Myles was able to to do this. Then let your helper sprinkle them with cake glitter. Place in the fridge for five minutes or until the shell has set.

Pipe the masks. Starting at the back, pipe the make frosting 3/4 of the way to the top in a straight line, all around the pops. Then add the candy eyes, and smile if desired.

Place them into a decorated stand and enjoy! Easy and fun! Ninja Turtle Mint Chocolate Brownie Pops bring smiles!

No comments:

Post a Comment