Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Homemade Mozzarella

My Aunt Toots sent me a cheese making kit after she successfully made homemade ricotta and mozzarella. It's one of the greatest gifts of all time. I am a huge fan of making everything from scratch when possible. Not because of the time it takes but the love of knowing what is actually in what we consume. Where things come from is just as important as who makes it.

I decided to make a half recipe using a half gallon of milk. I wasn't sure how it would turn out or how much mozzarella one girl can healthfully consume. Now I'm really glad I only made a half recipe because it is the greatest thing ever! I would have eaten all of an entire recipe had that been an option.

I followed the simple directions and was able to make the whole thing start to finish in about fifteen minutes all while on a business call. That is what I call multi-tasking fool proof easy cheese! I can honestly say I'm now a snob and won't be buying mozzarella from a store any longer, just pasteurized milk (not ultra pasteurized), and my lasagna will be 100% homemade from this day forward! Epic win for the little Italian girl whose grandmother would be proud that she still make pasta the way she taught her 27 years ago!

No comments:

Post a Comment